Vehicle Safety and Driver Assist Technologies
Ford’s recent safety and driver assist highlights include the following:
- For the 2014 model year, nine Ford Motor Company vehicles earned the highest possible Overall Vehicle Score of five stars in the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA). These five-star vehicles include the Ford Focus, Focus Electric, Explorer, Taurus, Fusion, Fusion Energi and Transit Connect and the Lincoln MKS and MKZ.
- For the 2013 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) awards, 13 Ford Motor Company vehicles earned Top Safety Picks from the IIHS: the Ford Fiesta (sedan and hatchback), Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Edge, Explorer, Escape, Flex and F-150 (crew cab) and the Lincoln MKZ, MKS, MKT and MKX.
- Three of the 13 vehicles that were awarded IIHS Top Safety Picks also earned Top Safety Pick+ designations: the Ford Fusion and Focus, and the Lincoln MKZ.
- The Ford Fusion has now been an IIHS Top Safety Pick for six years in a row.
- In the 2013 Euro NCAP assessments, the Ford Tourneo Connect earned a five-star safety rating. In addition, the vehicle received the Euro NCAP’s Best in Class recognition for the highest safety performance scores in the vehicle segment.
- The Ford Transit Custom and Tourneo Custom were the first van and “kombi” (i.e., multi-purpose vehicle), respectively, to achieve five-star ratings in the Euro NCAP heavy vehicle assessment. The Transit also received Euro NCAP’s Best in Class recognition for the highest safety performance score in its segment.
- Ford has an industry-leading total of seven Euro NCAP Advanced rewards, for our Lane-Keeping Aid, Active City Stop, Forward Alert, Lane-Keeping Alert, MyKey®, Emergency Assistance and Driver Alert technologies.
- In the most recent Latin NCAP, the new Ford EcoSport and Focus both received five stars for adult protection.
- MyKey, Ford’s innovative technology designed to help parents encourage their teenagers to drive more safely, is now in more than 6 million Ford and Lincoln vehicles on the road in the U.S. and is available on nearly all Ford Motor Company retail vehicles in North America.
- Our available rear-seat inflatable safety belts, launched on the 2011 Ford Explorer, are an automotive industry exclusive and have won numerous awards. For the 2014 model year, these safety belts are available in North America on several Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
- The availability of Lane-Keeping System, a driver assist feature, has been expanded in North America to include more vehicles, and it will be expanded further for the 2015 model year.
- Curve Control, a driver assist technology that helps slow the vehicle when it senses the driver is taking a curve too quickly, is now available on select vehicles in North America and Europe.
- Finally, in 2014 we performed our 20,000th vehicle crash test. Our first was in 1954, well before these tests were required by law.