Ford launched its Supplier Diversity Development program in 1978 with the goals of supporting minority- and women-owned businesses, creating business opportunities for diverse suppliers to grow into profitable enterprises, and further strengthening the Ford supplier network to reflect the company’s workforce and customer base. Since that time, we have sourced more than $80 billion in purchases from minority-, women- and veteran-owned businesses.
Ford remains strongly committed to working with and developing supplier companies owned by minorities, women and veterans. Our diverse suppliers are playing an important role in the company’s revitalized and expanding portfolio of high-quality, safe, fuel-efficient products equipped with smart technologies. Our Supplier Diversity Development office works with business leaders, trade associations and community-based organizations that represent the interests of diverse businesses.
In 2014, Ford purchased $6.75 billion in goods and services, or 13.3 percent of our total global spend, from approximately 200 minority-owned suppliers, and $2.1 billion, or 3.4 percent of our global spend, from more than 150 women-owned businesses. We also purchased $800 million in goods and services from veteran-owned companies. Our 2014 results represent the fifth-consecutive year of improvement and exceeded our sourcing goals for both minority- and women-owned suppliers.
Also in 2014, we were recognized 20 times for our Supplier Diversity Development Program – evidence we are doing well toward our stated goal to “maintain leadership in supplier diversity.”
Major Awards and Recognitions for Supplier Diversity Program
- Top Corporation for Women’s Business Enterprises (third-consecutive year) – Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
- Corporation of the Year – Center for Empowerment and Economic Development
- $1+ Billion Spend (Tier 1 and Tier 2) with Hispanic Companies – United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (only automotive OEM and one of five companies in the U.S. to be recognized at this top level)
- Best-in-Class award for Excellence in Supplier Diversity – Women’s Business Enterprise Council–Great Lakes
- Corporate ONE Award (fifth-consecutive year) – Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council
- Corporation of the Year – Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Top 100 Corporations of the Year – Women’s Enterprise (WE) USA
- Best of the Best list for Top Supplier Diversity Programs – Hispanic Network Magazine
- America’s Top Corporation for Women Business Enterprises – WE USA
- Top 50 Organizations for Multicultural Business Opportunities – DiversityBusiness.com
- Best Companies for Diversity – Hispanic Business
- Top 2014 Supplier Diversity Companies List – Hispanic Business
- 2014 Corporate 101: America’s Most Admired Corporations for Supplier Diversity – Minority Business News (MBN) USA
Individual Awards for Ford Employees
- Top 25 Women in Power Impacting Diversity (Marcella McCullough) – DiversityPlus Magazine
- Top 100 Leaders in Corporate Supplier Diversity (Carla Traci Preston) – WE USA
- Who’s Who in Supplier Diversity Development (Hau Thai-Tang) – WE USA
- Who’s Who in Supplier Diversity Development (Carla Traci Preston) – WE USA
- Who’s Who in Supplier Diversity Development (Hau Thai-Tang ) – Minority Business News (MBN) USA
- Who’s Who in Supplier Diversity Development (Carla Traci Preston) – MBN USA
- Minority Supplier Development Leader of the Year (Carla Traci Preston) – National Minority Supplier Development Council
- Advocate of Year (Carla Traci Preston) – Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Our record of minority supplier development has also earned Ford a seat at the Billion Dollar Roundtable (BDR), an exclusive group of 19 companies that purchase a minimum of $1 billion annually from diverse suppliers. The BDR encourages corporate entities to continue growing their supplier diversity programs by increasing commitment and spending levels each year.
Ford earned all of these awards for developing and driving innovative best practices across our organization that result in productive business partnerships with diverse entrepreneurs and valuable products and services for our customers.
Learn more about supplier diversity at Ford: