News CenterNews Center
Ford’s European Sales In February Outpace Market Growth
- Ford European sales rose 11.6 percent in February, outpacing the industry’s 8 percent improvement year over year. It was Ford of Europe’s ninth straight month of year-over-year sales increase
- Ford increased total market share, retail market share and commercial vehicle market share in February
- Ford’s commercial vehicle (CV) sales volume rose 15.8 percent in February; Ford’s CV market share at 9.7 percent for the first two months of the year was its highest in 16 years
- New Transit two-tonne now on sale – one of 10 new Ford vehicles being launched in 2014
COLOGNE, Germany, March 14, 2014 – Ford vehicle sales volume and all key market shares – total vehicle, retail, and commercial vehicle – improved again in February compared to a year ago.
“Our sales and share performance in February marked another step forward for Ford as we progress in our plan to return to profitability in Europe in 2015,” said Roelant de Waard, vice president, Marketing, Sales and Service, Ford of Europe.
“We recently just started selling our all-new Transit two-tonne van and we just unveiled the new Focus, which goes on sale later this year. These are just two of the 10 new vehicles we will launch in Europe in 2014. It’s this constant new vehicle momentum that is driving our business in a positive direction.”
In a total industry that saw sales grow by 8 percent, Ford outpaced the overall market with an 11.6 percent increase in sales*. February marked the ninth successive month of Ford sales volume growth in Europe, while Ford total vehicle share also was up by 0.2 of a percentage point to 7.0 percent.
Ford’s focus on improving its sales and share in the key retail segment of the market continued to reap benefits in February with retail sales volume growing by 9.7 percent, and retail share up 0.1 of a percentage point to 7.2 percent**. February was the 13th successive month of retail share growth for Ford in Europe.
Ford CV sales volume rose by 15.8 percent, and CV share at 9.7 percent for the first two months of the year was the company’s highest for the period since 1998. Year-to-date, Ford is Europe’s No.4 best-selling CV brand, compared with No. 7 in the same period last year.
# # #
* Effective January 2014, Ford of Europe reports its sales for the 20 European markets where it is represented through National Sales Companies. Previously, Ford referenced 19 countries. Romania has been added as the 20th market. Ford of Europe has also introduced a market share for the total of the 50 European markets it operates in. Detailed list of markets see further down.
** UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain. Italy data are preliminary. See table further down. Both Ford and industry volume in these markets represents 75 to 80% of the Europe 20 volume.